Lawrence signs with Grizzlies
All-area senior to play at BCCC
Kaleb Lawrence will be a Grizzly in the fall.
The Tonganoxie High senior signed a letter of intent last week to play football at Butler County Community College in El Dorado.
Lawrence also was interested in Missouri Western and Upper Iowa, but instead went with last year's national runner-up in the juco ranks.
Butler County finished last season 11-1 and ranked No. 2 in the nation after losing to Pearl River (Miss.), 35-14 in the Dalton Defenders Bowl in Coffeyville.
The Grizzlies also were the Kansas Jayhawk Conference champions last season.
"They had a nice weight room," Lawrence said. "It's a good program."
Lawrence was named to all-league, all-area and all-Class 4A teams while at Tonganoxie.
The senior also looked at Mid-America Nazarene, Bethel, Coffeyville Community College and Highland Community College before deciding on BCCC.
Although he is undecided on a major, Lawrence was leaning toward something in strength training.
And when his eligibility is complete at Butler County, Lawrence has his eyes on another purple-clad team for his final two years.
"I'd like to go to K-State," Lawrence said. "I've got to play down there (Butler) first."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Edwardsville police recover missing Airstream
- Kansas House panel considers higher scrap theft penalties
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars