Chieftains clinch Kaw Valley title
Tonganoxie needed a big third quarter Saturday near Carbondale to outlast Santa Fe Trail.
But with the victory, the celebrating could begin -- the THS girls basketball team is this year's Kaw Valley League champion.
Tonganoxie went into halftime with a slim 18-14 lead, but the Chieftains responded in the third quarter, outscoring SFT, 16-6. Tonganoxie eventually pulled out the win, 45-31.
At 16-2 overall and 11-0 in the Kaw Valley League, Tonganoxie defeated its closest competitor in the league race. Trail dropped to 11-6 overall and 8-3 in the KVL. With two games left in the regular season, Tonganoxie guaranteed itself an outright league title.
Last season, Tonganoxie tied De Soto for the league title. Both teams had one league loss. De Soto, however, no longer is in the league. Last fall, the Wildcats moved to the Frontier League.
As for this year's Chieftains, Tonganoxie continues to roll.
Tonganoxie was on a 14-game winning streak entering Tuesday's game at Perry-Lecompton. Tonganoxie finishes out the season Friday at Basehor-Linwood.
Substate basketball then will start next week with a home game, likely against Piper.
More like this story
- Kansas officials defend pension bonds after Moody's report
- University of Kansas student leaders outline diversity plan
- Kansas House approves new tax plan after governor’s plea
- Brownback budget plan targets bioscience fund, corrections, highway patrol
- Tonganoxie USD 464 board names new president, vice president