Atchison girls seeking first win of year
Kody Kasselman has a task ahead of him.
The Spearville native is in his first season as head coach of the Atchison High varsity team after two years as the junior varsity coach.
Last year, Atchison finished the season winless at 0-21 after losing to Hayden in the first round of substate.
This season, AHS is off to an 0-7 start.
Atchison lost three starters from last year's squad, but AHS returns three starters in seniors Lacee Gassmann, Sarah Berger and Amy Housh. The team has a fourth senior in Maria Kelly.
Aside from that, Atchison is a pretty young squad. Sydney Beck is the team's lone junior, as Atchison also has four sophomores and three freshmen on the squad. AHS is taking its lumps early on, but with so many underclassmen, Kasselman's team should improve in the coming years.
Atchison opened the Tonganoxie Invitational on Tuesday against Tonganoxie. Although the Atchison boys played in the tournament two years ago, the girls team is making its first appearance.
More like this story
- New proposal would cut Kansas school districts by half
- GOP plan to overhaul Kansas school aid could move quickly
- Kansas official: Plans not firm for American Royal project in Kansas City
- Brownback urges Kansas House to pass GOP school funding plan
- Kansas school district realignment bill stalls, but educators still feeling the stress