Elderly Basehor couple killed in 24-40 accident
An elderly Basehor couple were killed Thursday morning when their car was struck by a dump truck on U.S. 24-40 in Basehor.
The Kansas Highway Patrol identified the victims as J.M. Brandenberg Sr., 89, and his wife, Frances L. Brandenburg, 80.
The Patrol said Brandenburg failed to yield as he drove north across the highway on 150th Street into the path of the eastbound dump truck, driven by Joseph S. Riley, 30, Tonganoxie. Riley was uninjured, the patrol said.
After the impact, both vehicles spun into the north ditch along the highway.
The accident occurred at 10:55 a.m. Thursday. The highway was blocked and traffic was rerouted around the site for an hour or more.
Funeral arrangements were incomplete at the Alden-Harrington Funeral Home in Bonner Springs.
For more on this story, see the Jan. 26 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- AT&T aims to match Google broadband in Kansas City
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls