Tonganoxie girls win tourney with nailbiter against Silver Lake; boys fall to Lansing in OT
Laura Jeannin's two free throws with seconds remaining in Saturday's Tonganoxie Invitational pushed THS to a 34-33 victory.
Trailing for the first time in the game, 33-32, Silver Lake's pressure defense nearly forced a Chieftain turnover, but Rebecca Bogard saved a the ball from going out of bounds. Jeannin eventually was fouled and put Tonganoxie back on top.
After losing last year's Tonganoxie Invitational championship game to Jeff West, THS made its way back to this year's finals. Tonganoxie now is 9-2 on the year.
Ali Pistora led the team in scoring with 10.
In the boys championship game, Atchison outlasted Immaculata, 68-65. Imac put together a furious rally in the second half, but fell just short of winning its second straight Tonganoxie Invitational.
The Tonganoxie boys, playing in the fifth-place game, fell to Lansing, 49-46, in overtime. The Chieftain boys fell to 3-8 on the season.
For more coverage of the Tonganoxie Invitational, see the Jan. 26 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle
- Face to Face: Vintage Park's Julie Hansen
- Tonganoxie police calls, March 25-April 9, 2015
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Tonganoxie police calls, Feb. 20-March 1, 2015