Starcher, Palmer reach finals of Baldwin Invitational
In what's being called one of the toughest tournaments in the area, Tonganoxie's Ross Starcher and Garrett Palmer are holding their own.
Late Saturday afternoon, both Chieftains were preparing for their respective championship matches.
Starcher, competing in the 171-pound class, defeated 6A defending state champion Brian Sondregger from Shawnee Mission West. Sondregger's only loss this season before Saturday was to Santa Fe Trail's Justin Wiscombe, who defeated Sondregger two weeks ago at Basehor's tournament.
Starcher now will face Wiscombe in a rematch of a league dual earlier in the season. Wiscombe defeated Starcher, one of only two this year for the THS senior.
Palmer, wrestling at 145, defeated Santa Fe Trail's Josh Connelly on his way to his championship match.
Palmer lost to Connelly earlier in the year, but defeated him Saturday. Last season, Palmer placed fourth at the Baldwin Invitational.
For more about Saturday's tournament, check back with The Mirror's Web site. Complete coverage of the tourney can be found in the Feb. 2 edition of The Mirror newspaper.
More like this story
- Armed teenager running toward school shot by police officer
- Tonganoxie man sought in KCK detective shooting caught; officer killed
- Suspect in custody after Kansas City killing spree that left five dead
- Tonganoxie part of investigation in shooting death of KCK officer
- Five killed in shooting spree that began at Kansas City home