Silver Lake softball team takes Class 3A state title
The team that slipped past McLouth in extra innings in Class 3A regional play now is this year's state softball champion.
Silver Lake, which defeated MHS, 1-0, in the regional finals, won another state title with a 5-2 victory Saturday in Manhattan against Mission Valley. The Eagles defeated Osage City, 3-1, in the semifinals before beating Mission Valley. Osage City finished with a third-place trophy with a 3-2 victory in consolation play against Thomas More Prep-Marian of Hays.
In 4A, Fort Scott claimed a state title with a 1-0 victory against Augusta in Salina. Fort Scott dropped Chapman, 1-0, in the semifinals as well. Marysville placed third at the state tournament with a 3-2 win against Chapman.
In other tournaments, Olathe East won 6A with a 3-2 win against Shawnee Mission Northwest in Lawrence as Emporia defeated Lawrence-Free State, 10-7, in the third-place game.
Winfield claimed this year's 5A crown with a 5-1 win against Shawnee Heights. Arkansas City earned a third-place trophy with a 4-0 win against Seaman.
And in Class 2-1A, Salina-Sacred Heart will be hanging a state banner. The Knights defeated Chase County, 5-1, in Emporia in the championship game. Udall defeated Elkhart, 11-1, in the consolation game.
More like this story
- Kansas Republicans hold to hard-right on social issues at state convention in Overland Park
- Linn County attorney dismisses case against Tonganoxie superintendent
- Death penalty in white supremacist case a tricky proposition
- Kansas court's approval of death sentence not seen as shift
- Attorney compares Kansas sperm donor's plight, gay marriage