Lightning strike causes girl’s mattress to catch fire
Child not injured; lightning also strikes Friends Church
Lightning struck a house Thursday morning just west of Tonganoxie Elementary School. About a half-hour later, lightning struck the Friends Church, about a block southeast of the home.
The first strike hit about 8:30 a.m. in the 100 block of East Third Street. Resident Trent Shriner said the lightning struck a metal support in his daughters' upstairs room.
The current traveled down the wall and caught a mattress on fire, where his 7-year-old daughter, Kaylee, was sleeping. Kaylee escaped the room and, aside from her hair smoking from the flame, was not injured. Her father tried to put out the fire, and he eventually carried the mattress downstairs and out onto the front lawn where the flames were extinguished.
He suffered minor burns to his leg.
About 9 a.m., firefighters responded to Friends Church, Fourth and Church streets, where lightning struck the roof. Firefighters were able to contain the fire, which created a small hole in the roof.
For more on this story, read the July 6 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Council agenda for April 6, 2015
- Kansas lawmakers considering proposals on public employees
- Kansas considers changes to policies for state workers
- Kansas Supreme Court to hear Wichita pot ordinance arguments
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy