THS baseball splits with Perry
The Tonganoxie High baseball played its best when the Chieftains were wearing their rally caps.
In game 2 of Thursday's doubleheader at Perry-Lecompton, the Chieftains battled back from a 6-2 deficit. Tonganoxie scored 11 runs in the final three innings for a 13-6 win, the Chieftains' first against a Kaw Valley League opponent.
"We finally woke up our bats I guess you can say," THS coach Andy Gilner said.
In the first game, Tonganoxie actually had a 2-0 lead, but THS couldn't hold onto the lead and fell, 6-2.
"It wasn't that we broke down totally defensively but we had some mental lapses," Gilner said.
That changed in the second game. Tonganoxie held off Perry-Lecompton in the final three innings as the Chieftains snapped an eight-game losing streak.
"The middle infield turned two double plays," Gilner said. "That was pleasing."
THS lost earlier in the week to Santa Fe Trail, 14-0 and 11-3.
More like this story
- Chieftains snap losing streak with 10-3 rout against Perry
- THS softball outlasts P-L in marathon
- Stranded runners doom THS in game two of doubleheader against Lansing squad
- Chieftains shut out Kaws to take fifth at tourney
- Lansing overpowers Tonganoxie baseball in final doubleheader of 2005 campaign