Late rallies advance Bulldogs
McLouth managed the final chuckle Monday against Maur Hill-Mount Academy in a Class 3A baseball regional at Oskaloosa.
Last week, Maur Hill swept McLouth in their regular-season doubleheader, but McLouth responded at regionals.
The Bulldogs trailed, 2-0, after the first inning before tying the game at two in the top of the fifth. Maur Hill went ahead again, 4-2, in the bottom of the sixth, but McLouth wouldn't be denied.
Facing elimination, the Bulldogs tied the game at four in the top of the seventh and sent the game into extra innings.
In the top of the eighth, McLouth plated four runs and held off Maur Hill for a monumental 8-4 victory.
McLouth improved to 6-13 with the victory, while Maur Hill ended its season at 6-15.
Joel Dickerson and Boone Sorrell both had doubles for McLouth in the victory.
Joey Lawson pitched a complete game for the Bulldogs, striking out nine Maur Hill batters in eight innings of work. Lawson gave up five hits and walked one batter.
The Bulldogs advanced to today's semifinal game against Pleasant Ridge. The game starts at 2 p.m. in Oskaloosa.
McLouth 000 020 24 -- 8 11 3
Maur Hill 200 002 00 -- 4 5 1
More like this story
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Leavenworth, Douglas county officials battle grass fires; Tonganoxie chief offers prevention tips
- Kansas Supreme Court upholds ex-lawman's murder conviction
- Evidence of bedbugs found at Topeka library
- Kansas House passes budget requiring higher taxes to balance