New slide at pool expected to drive up attendance
Get ready local swimmers.
When the Tonganoxie Swimming Pool opens May 29, it will be equipped with a new slide.
¢ Adult swim is offered from noon to 1 p.m. each day, and citizens can schedule pool parties from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. any time other than Tuesdays and Thursdays.
A yellow slide, which was purchased from Leavenworth Parks and Recreation Department for $800, is being added at the pool. Last week, city workers installed the structure, which actually consists of two slides side-by-side, on the southwest corner of the pool.
The equipment replaces diving boards that were taken out last year because an insurance inspection revealed they were unsafe.
Assistant city administrator Kathy Bard said the new slides should boost attendance at the pool this summer.
"I think everybody's excited," Bard said. "Without having a diving board last year, a lot of the older kids wouldn't go.
"We'll get the populations back up this year."
The slide previously was used at the Leavenworth pool. When the city of Leavenworth installed new aquatics, the slide was taken out.
That gave Tonganoxie the opportunity to provide a replacement for the always-popular diving boards.
The pool has been a hub of summer activity since it opened in 1926. Although it has changed through the years, the swimming pool still attracts plenty of youth and adults.
More like this story
- Kansas proposed juvenile justice changes would incarcerate fewer youths; some counties express concern
- Court officials say errors revealing juvenile records fixed
- Mott would be Kansas' first transgender House member
- Tonganoxie Public Library officials talk building future with City Council
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie