Accident sends three teens to hospital
Another wreck along U.S. Highway 24-40 in Tonganoxie sent local residents to the hospital Friday, marking the second time in as many weeks an accident occurred along the busy road.
This time, the accident occurred at an intersection equipped with a traffic light.
The crash, which occurred about 3:15 p.m. at 24-40 and Northstar, involved three Tonganoxie students. The previous week, an accident occurred at 24-40 and Main Street, sending a 5-year-old to Children's Mercy.
"Anytime anyone gets hurt it really bothers you, because it could be someone you know or your family," Tonganoxie Mayor Dave Taylor said. "You don't ever want anyone to get hurt. Cars are replaceable."
Friday's accident occurred soon after students were released from school. Paula Prosser, 16, Tonganoxie, was driving a truck and turning west onto 24-40 from the high school parking lot when a car, driven by Brittney Pendleton, 16, Tonganoxie, struck Prosser's vehicle near the driver's front tire.
Brittney's brother, Dylan Pendleton, 13, was a passenger in her car. All three students were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital where they were treated and released.
According to a Tonganoxie police report, all three youths were wearing seatbelts.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department fire calls, April 13-May 3, 2015
- Grass fires commonplace in recent days in Tonganoxie area
- Tonganoxie City Fire Department calls for Feb. 15-21, 2015
- Off-duty Shawnee firefighter administers CPR to 4-year-old at Tonganoxie Water Park
- Tonganoxie American Legion Post 41 makes large donation with flag