Collision kills two teenagers
A head-on collision near Leavenworth killed two Leavenworth teenagers and sent a 64-year-old Leavenworth woman to an area hospital.
The accident occurred about 1:30 p.m. Saturday on Mount Olivet Road, about a half-mile east of Leavenworth County Road 33.
Al Treat and Chad Valencia, both 17-year-olds, were pronounced dead at the scene. Treat was driving his vehicle with Valencia as a passenger when he attempted to pass another vehicle that also was traveling east on Mount Olivet.
Carol Heim, 64, Leavenworth, was driving west on the road when her vehicle collided with Treat's vehicle. Heim was taken by air ambulance to the University of Kansas Hospital, Kansas City, Kan. She was listed in fair condition Monday, a hospital official said.
The accident still is under investigation. The sheriff's office reported that the two vehicles traveling east possibly were racing. The driver and passengers of the vehicle that Treat passed were not injured. They were interviewed at the scene and released.
More like this story
- Judge won't hear retrial of man who punched his attorney
- Linenberger: Brownback's decision on LGBT protections should trigger public action
- K-State's response to open records request shows difficulty
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Kansas City Connection: A new home for Halls