KVL teams finish soccer seasons with a trip to state quaterfinals
The Kaw Valley League's two playoff teams didn't advance to the final four in Class 4-3-2-1A last week.
Bonner Springs fell to Maranatha Academy (Shawnee), 2-0, in the state quarterfinals Nov. 1, while Piper fell to Kansas City Christian, 2-1, in its quarterfinal game.
Bonner Springs ended its season at 15-4, while Piper finished the year at 11-6-1.
KC Christian went on to win the 4-3-2-1A state title with a 5-3 victory against Rose Hill on Saturday at Topeka's Hummer Sports Complex. Maranatha Academy defeated Trinity Academy (Wichita), 3-1, in the consolation game and placed third in the state.
In 6A, Olathe East won the state crown with a 2-1 victory against Blue Valley North in Olathe. Maize defeated Washburn Rural (Topeka), 2-1, in the consolation game.
And in 5A, St. Thomas Aquinas (Overland Park) won the state title with a 6-1 victory against Liberal at the Blue Valley Sports Complex in Overland Park. In the consolation game, Shawnee Heights (Topeka) defeated Kapaun-Mount Carmel in triple overtime, 2-1.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Derek Sparks
- Antler broker flourishes in his Delphos business
- Tonganoxie HIgh teammates sign to play volleyball on collegiate level
- Tonganoxie High School presenting 'Charlie Brown' musical
- Education focus: JCCC CDL training puts students in the driver's seat for a new career