THS, McLouth teams open basketball, wrestling seasons
Roll out the wrestling mats and air up the basketballs -- the winter sports season is about to begin.
The Tonganoxie boys and girls basketball teams will open the season Friday at St. Marys.
The teams also met last year in Tonganoxie. The THS girls defeated St. Marys, 63-25, while the St. Marys boys won, 73-65.
Next week, the THS boys and girls team will be in action again with the Central Heights Invitational near Richmond.
Although the trips to Central Heights won't be particularly short, the Tonganoxie wrestling squad is looking at a much longer bus ride.
The Chieftains will compete Saturday at the Kearney Invitational in Kearney, Neb. The tournament will begin at 9:30 a.m.
At McLouth, the boys and girls teams open the season with pig-tail games for the Delaware Valley League tournament. The MHS girls will play at 5 p.m. Thursday at Jefferson County North, while the MHS boys will travel Thursday to Oskaloosa. That game also will tip off at 5 p.m.
A pig-tail game is a play-in game to the tournament for two lower-seeded teams. On Friday, both teams will be at home for non-tournament games against Maranatha Academy of Shawnee.
The McLouth teams will resume Delaware Valley League tournament play with games next Tuesday. at Benedictine College in Atchison.
For more on specific times and opponents for Tonganoxie teams in the Central Heights Invitational and McLouth teams at the DVL Tournament, check The Mirror's Web site at www.tonganoxiemirror.com.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie School Board special meeting Thursday to cover potential LOB increase, freshman athletics
- Remember When: A Community Review for May 10, 2017
- League meetings appoaching for Tonganoxie
- Former Tonganoxie superintendent resigns from same post in Lawrence, plans to take other position in that district, pending board approval
- Tonganoxie school board begins superintendent search groundwork