Soccer team downs Baldwin with shutout
Tonganoxie notched another victory with a 1-0 road win against Baldwin last week.
The Chieftains and Bulldogs never had met before. Although Tonganoxie's soccer program dates back to the 1990s, Baldwin has had a soccer program for just a few years.
"You could tell that they were a beginning program, but they put up a pretty good effort," THS coach Kenneth Lott said.
Tonganoxie's Erman Gultekin scored the Chieftains' goal.
Tonganoxie played again Saturday in a make-up game against Piper and played a regularly scheduled game Monday in Leavenworth against Immaculata.
THS scored against Piper, but it wasn't enough as the Pirates won, 3-1. Tonganoxie's Derek O'Brien scored on a header from a corner kick.
"It seems to me that they're a pretty competitive team," Lott said. "Most of them are seniors.
"They seemed to gel pretty good. And I think the kids saw that as well."
Lott also was quick to commend his team.
"I thought we competed with them," Lott said. "We never wore out in the game."
Lott said he was pleased with Monday's effort against Immaculata, but again, the Chieftains couldn't grab another victory.
Immaculata shut the Chieftains out, 3-0, and dropped Tonganoxie to 4-11 on the season.
"Most of the kids thought they were pretty good," Lott said. "For the most part, they looked pretty good, but there again, we did pretty well with them."
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event