Rec commission on the move
The Tonganoxie Recreation Commission once again is on the move.
After spending three years on U.S. Highway 24-40 across from Tonganoxie Junior High, the recreation commission will be housed in the retail center on Fourth Street just west of the Tonganoxie Police Department at Fourth and Delaware. The new address will be 525 E. Fourth.
TRC director Gayle Parker said he expects the commission to move into its new office space by Nov. 1. Purcell Construction formerly occupied the office space.
"The big deal, on the positive side, it gives us 50 percent more room for team draws and board meetings, that type of thing," Parker said.
The November move will mark the commission's return to downtown.
Before moving to the highway, the recreation commission was at 635 E. Fourth, where Wirenuts is now located.
The number of programs the TRC offers also continues to increase.
TRC always has provided several sports programs, but Parker said the commission has started "a big push" for non-traditional activities. TRC is sponsoring more day trips and events not related to sports.
Recreation commission notes
- The commission is working on a new Web site. Parker said he was unsure when the Web site would be ready.
- The rec commission is conducting sign-up registration for youth basketball and youth volleyball.
More like this story
- Feds: Hotel owners replaced legal workers with immigrants
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.
- Kansas gun dealer to pay $132K to woman for selling to felon
- Former Kansas superintendent and 2 others sue over firings
- Tonganoxie police investigating sexual assault case involving 13-year-old