Soccer focused on regionals
Tonganoxie soccer coach Kenneth Lott isn't too worried about who the Chieftains will be playing in the playoffs when pairings are decided Saturday.
"I'm still trying to find out who's in 4A," said Lott, who is in his first year at THS.
Tonganoxie will enter regionals with a 5-11 record.
The Chieftains knocked off Bishop Ward, 3-1, Thursday on Senior Night.
It was a perfect way for Tonganoxie's seven seniors to leave Chieftain Park.
"It was a team effort," Lott said. "I think the guys finally played as a team. I think Senior Night was big for everybody, trying to get the seniors a last win at home.
"I think that's the most excited I've seen them before the game."
Although Tonganoxie's first-round opponent hasn't been announced, the Chieftains know they'll play someone from the Northeast region. In that region with THS are Atchison, Maur Hill, Baldwin, Basehor-Linwood, Bonner Springs, De Soto, Eudora, Piper, Bishop Ward, Sumner, Seabury, Immaculata, Louisburg, Perry-Lecompton, Kansas City Christian, Maranatha Academy and Hayden.
After Thursday's win, Lott said his team is eager to play in the postseason -- even if the opponent still must be determined.
"I think the biggest part is the fact that they've figure out that we're capable of winning if we play as a team," Lott said.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High School girls team heads into sub-state with victory
- Tonganoxie baseball setting sights on return trip to state
- Aspiring to be a Spire: Freemyer signs with Saint Mary
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Auction for KU basketball shirt to benefit memorial scholarship fund