First half dooms Chieftains
Tonganoxie played some hard-nosed competitive soccer during the second half Monday against Mill Valley at Chieftain Park. But it was the first half that doomed THS.
Mill Valley scored six goals in the first half and another in the second for a 7-0 victory against the Chieftains.
"I think they were a little surprised," THS coach Kenneth Lott said.
The Jaguars scored often in the first half, but when Tonganoxie returned from halftime, they played inspired soccer.
"We played well in the second half," Lott said. "I have something to work with. We played 40 minutes instead of 20."
The Chieftains dropped to 1-5 overall and 1-4 in the Kaw Valley League.
It was a rough night for the Chieftains, but the game was the first of three this week for THS. Tonganoxie also played Eudora on Tuesday in Tonganoxie and Bonner Springs on Thursday on the road.
Monday's game wasn't close, but Lott thought his team could build on the experience.
"They didn't give up," Lott said. "You know you have a team with heart -- when they don't give up when they're that far behind."
For a recap of Tonganoxie's game against Turner last week, log on to www.tonganoxiemirror.com.
More like this story
- Defending home turf in Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie High track athletes holding their own
- Tonganoxie High girls track 2nd, boys 4th at Bobcat Relays
- Tonganoxie forensics team wins overall titles in frist weekend of competition
- Tonganoxie's Johnson heaves best discus throw in state at WSU meet; MHS athletes join THS competitors in Wichita