Obituary: Mary Katherine “Kay” Whitaker
Services for Mary Katherine "Kay" Whitaker, 78, Tonganoxie will be at 10:30 a.m. today, April 12, 2006, at Ward Funeral Home in Washington, Kan. Graveside services will be at 3 p.m. today at Hubbel Hill Cemetery in Tonganoxie.
Mrs. Whitaker died Sunday, April 9, 2006, at Tonganoxie Nursing Center. She was born Feb. 29, 1928, in Ramona, Okla., the daughter of Nathaniel and Goldie (Armstrong) Ellis.
She grew up in Oklahoma and Nevada, graduating from Sparks (Nev.) High School. She attended the University of Nevada-Reno.
She married Warren Whitaker on April 9, 1948, in Ottawa, Kan. They lived in eastern Kansas before moving to Washington, Kan., in 1956. They lived in Washington for 37 years, before moving to Tonganoxie in 1993.
Mrs. Whitaker was a member of First Presbyterian Church in Washington. At the time of her death, she was a member of First Congregational Church in Tonganoxie. She was a 50-year member of the Rinda chapter of the Order of Eastern Star and an active member of the Plymouth Guild for many years.
Survivors include a son, Warren Gregory Whitaker, Tonganoxie; a daughter, Diane Ebbert, Tonganoxie; and five grandchildren.
More like this story
- Education focus: Dwayne Peaslee Technical Training Center prepares for fall push
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas
- Senator's bill on Kansas out-of-district students criticized
- Tech education incentives cut for Kansas school districts
- Wichita school to establish NASA-inspired space program