Obituary: Lester W. Herdman
Services for Lester "Lucky" W. Herdman, 86, of the Piper area, were Friday, April 14, 2006, at Alden-Harrington Funeral Home, Bonner Springs. Burial was in Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens Cemetery, Kansas City, Kans.
Mr. Herdman died Tuesday, April 11, 2006, at his home. He was born Dec. 21, 1919, in Stranger Township, near Tonganoxie.
He was a longtime member and deacon of Piper Baptist Church. He had served on the Piper school board. He retired from Kansas City, Mo., Gas Service after 43 years. He was a U.S. Army veteran of World War II, where he served in the Pacific Theater. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the Masonic Lodge for more than 50 years.
His wife, Margaret Esther (Diehl) Herdman, died in 2001.
Survivors include two sons, Bruce W. Herdman, Urbana, Mo., and Kenneth Lee Herdman, Tonganoxie; two daughters, Carolyn M. Skinner, Nocona, Texas, and Elizabeth "Beth" N. Eddings of Versailles, Mo.; a sister, Ruby Jaccard, Stockton, Mo.; two brothers, Orval Herdman, Piper, and Eugene Herdman, Kansas City, Kan.; 13 grandchildren; and 34 great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Good Sheperd Hospice, sent in care of Alden-Harrington Funeral Home, 214 Oak St., Bonner Springs 66012.
More like this story
- Hill touts career experiences in Leavenworth County Commission race
- Tonganoxie school board to conduct superintendent search with Phillips as finalist; Kemp stepping down
- Tyson narrows list to three potential sites
- Army breaks ground for Tonganoxie center
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie