Tonganoxie firefighters respond to report of smoke Thursday on Fourth Street
Tonganoxie city firefighters responded Thursday afternoon to a report of smoke at the Studio 800 beauty shop at the corner of Fourth and Pleasant.
Tonganoxie City Fire Capt. John Callaghan said that fortunately, little damage was done.
"It appeared to be just an odor of smoke," Callaghan said. "The furnace was kind of getting hot, but there wasn't any fire."
Callaghan said firefighters walked through the beauty shop, as well as the adjacent Himpel Lumber, with thermal imaging cameras. They also checked the electrical and heating systems.
"We didn't find any evidence of any fires, but the furnace was running hot," Callaghan said.
Firefighters from Stranger and Tonganoxie townships assisted. And Tonganoxie police officers and Leavenworth County sheriff's officers directed traffic. Chuck Magaha, the county's director of emergency management, also assisted.
Firefighters were at the scene from about 2:30 p.m. until just after 4 p.m.
More like this story
- Kansas school funding plan aimed at ending budget surprises
- New Kansas schools plan has funds for budget emergencies
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Patrick Budy