Obituary: Gordon Buckland Hurlbut
Memorial services for Gordon Buckland Hurlbut, 83, Tonganoxie, were Monday, Dec. 18, 2006, at Trinity Episcopal Church in Lawrence. Private inurnment is planned at a later date.
Mr. Hurlbut died Thursday, Dec. 14, 2006, in Kansas City, Mo. He was born Dec. 10, 1923, in Waterbury, Conn., the son of Gordon B. and Helen S. (Smith) Hurlbut.
He was a graduate of The Lawrenceville School in Lawrenceville, N.J., and was in the Class of 45W at Yale University. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity and Skull and Bones at Yale.
He was also a member of Trinity Episcopal Church and the Leavenworth Rotary Club.
He was a flight instructor in the U.S. Navy Air Corps during World War II and served as a lieutenant junior grade Navy pilot.
Mr. Hurlbut was a Leavenworth County commissioner from 1969 until 1973, and served as commission chairman in 1973.
He married Mary Louise "Biddy" Miller on Oct. 4, 1947, in Tonganoxie. She survives, of the home.
Other survivors include three daughters, Corinne Hurlbut, Tonganoxie, Hether Smith, Philadelphia, Annie Zander, Kansas City, Mo.; a sister, Elsie Carley, Middlebury, Conn.; and three granddaughters.
The family suggests memorial contributions to Trinity Episcopal Church, sent in care of Warren-McElwain Mortuary, 120 W. 13th, Lawrence 66044.
More like this story
- Audience wide awake for Tonganoxie High's 'Drowsy Chaperone'
- Madrigal Feaste brings in more than 400 for this year's two-night holiday event
- A day of remembrance in Tonganoxie for Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Kansas City Connection: 'Christmas Cheer' from a new 'Nutcracker' to Charles Dickens
- Topeka teens' music making rounds on Internet