Local couple win baby contest
Derek Carothers and April Ricketson weren't expecting their baby just yet.
Doctors had told the Tonganoxie couple their child was due Jan. 24.
But Johnathon Michael Carothers had other ideas. The baby was born Jan. 5. The early arrival came as a surprise to the couple, but also meant Johnathon was named the winner of The Mirror's first baby of the new year contest. The family will receive prizes from The Mirror and a number of other sponsors.
Johnathon weighed 7 pounds, 12 ounces and measured 19 1/2 inches long. He was born at University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.
April said she was excited Johnathon was named the first baby of 2006.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Kansas Senate panel considering bill to ban abortion method
- Kansas Senate approves concealed carry of guns without training or permit
- Kansas House passes teacher collective bargaining compromise
- Kansas court considers handling of school funding lawsuit