Board OKs another second-grade class
To help ensure next year's second-grade classes have no more than 19 students, the Tonganoxie school board on Monday agreed to add a teacher at the elementary school.
Principal Jerry Daskoski said the additional teacher is necessary because of large kindergarten and first-grade classes this year. Currently, 117 students attend both kindergarten and first grade.
Last year, the board approved a sixth first-grade teacher. Next year, the principal said, the school will need six second-grade teachers if it wants to hold class sizes to 19.5 students.
"That's my reason for requesting an additional second-grade teacher," Daskoski said. "And this is if we have no new enrollments at that grade level."
The board's seven members voted unanimously to approve a sixth teacher for the second grade.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High volleyball 5th at Rossville Invitational
- Footloose Chieftains: Tonganoxie cross country qualifies both teams for state for 1st time in a decade
- Kansas board to pick developer for new state-owned casino
- Kansas properties nominated for national historic register
- Rank and file: Tonganoxie High wrestling takes 4th behind state powers at Baldwin