Board OKs another second-grade class
To help ensure next year's second-grade classes have no more than 19 students, the Tonganoxie school board on Monday agreed to add a teacher at the elementary school.
Principal Jerry Daskoski said the additional teacher is necessary because of large kindergarten and first-grade classes this year. Currently, 117 students attend both kindergarten and first grade.
Last year, the board approved a sixth first-grade teacher. Next year, the principal said, the school will need six second-grade teachers if it wants to hold class sizes to 19.5 students.
"That's my reason for requesting an additional second-grade teacher," Daskoski said. "And this is if we have no new enrollments at that grade level."
The board's seven members voted unanimously to approve a sixth teacher for the second grade.
More like this story
- State basketball wraps up during weekend
- Kansas House panel considers higher scrap theft penalties
- Rookies and veterans: Tonganoxie Chieftains sending four freshmen, two seniors to state
- Spring season opens for local teams
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle