Tonganoxie girls advance; McLouth boys end season
The Tonganoxie High girls basketball team took its first step toward its second state appearance with a 72-32 win against Piper on Monday in the first round of the Sumner 4A substate tournament.
No. 1 Tonganoxie, playing at home, got off to a slow start, but led 40-16 at the half.
THS (20-1) will face Bonner Springs (12-8) in the semifinals. No. 5 BSHS defeated No. 4De Soto in another quarterfinal game. Sumner will play Eudora in the other semifinal game. No. 2 Sumner defeated No. 7 Ward, while No. 3 Eudora defeated No. 6 Basehor-Linwood other quarterfinal action.
The McLouth boys, despite being tied with Wellsville heading into the fourth quarter, couldn't hang on down the stretch and lost its upset bid, 59-51, at Wellsville. MHS was the No. 6, while Wellsville was No. 3. The Bulldogs finished the year at 6-15.
For more substate coverage, check out the March 1 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Kansas Turnpike Authority to tackle flooding risk
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Flooding closes road near Easton in Leavenworth County
- Remember When: A Community Review for March 22, 2017
- Tests conducted on highway leading to abandoned mining town