Head-on accident kills two south of Lansing
Two people are dead after a head-on collision Sunday night south of Lansing.
The Kansas Highway Patrol Monday afternoon identified the victims as James A. Norwood, 44, Leavenworth, and John Felton Bridgewater, 28, Kansas City, Kan. The two were pronounced dead at the scene, a dispatcher said.
According to the patrol, the accident occurred at 9:20 p.m. on U.S. Highway 73 at milepost 22, which is just south of the Leavenworth County-Wyandotte County line. The patrol said the truck driven by Norwood was traveling the wrong way in the southbound lanes when it struck a Ford SUV driven by 28-year-old Valerie Nearing of Lansing.
Nearing's vehicle had two passengers, Bridgewater and 23-year-old Marcus Hullaby of Kansas City, Kan. Both Nearing and Hullaby had to be extracted from the vehicle by emergency workers and were transported via air ambulance to Kansas City-area hospitals.
Nearing was taken to University of Kansas Hospital, in Kansas City, Kan., where she was listed Tuesday in serious condition. The report said Hullaby was taken to St. Luke's Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., but a spokesman there said she could find no record of Hullaby being treated there.
The report said neither of the men who died had been wearing seatbelts.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie man sought in KCK detective shooting caught; officer killed
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Suspect in custody after Kansas City killing spree that left five dead
- Tonganoxie man charged with capital murder in KCK detective's death
- KU's Rim Rock Farm meet this weekend for Tonganoxie High cross country