BBQ Blowout celebrates 15th year
More than 30 teams worked to cook various meats to perfection at Saturday's McLouth BBQ Blowout.
The barbecue, which was the northeast Kansas state championship, drew 32 teams to McLouth for the annual event, which marked its 15th anniversary Saturday.
Hemphill Smokers of Tonganoxie earned the people's choice award, while MoKans Meatheads of Grain Valley, Mo., was named reserve champion.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ of Olathe won grand champion distinction.
Hemphill Smokers is owned by Tonganoxie native Curtis Oroke. Bob Puhr is also on the team. Hemphill Smokers placed sixth overall at the event.
Daniel Hipsher of Tonganoxie also competed at the barbecue. He placed 20th overall.
Basehor also had teams competing at the blowout. Doughboy's Dream, owned by Rick Danbery, finished 14th overall, while Brother and Son barbecue, placed 23rd overall. Brother and Son is owned by Bill Stirridge.
Cliff Weeks, who helps organize the event, said this year's blowout was about average regarding the number of barbecue teams it usually attracts.
"It takes a lot of energy," Weeks said. "It works well. It's a good family event for the community and the surrounding area."
The blowout includes a panel of 42 judges and is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society. The event earned "the northeast Kansas state championship" status thanks to a proclamation from Gov. Kathleen Sebelius, Weeks said.
The McLouth contest has been a state competition for many years.
Because it is a state event, winners at the McLouth barbecue earn an automatic bid to the American Royal barbecue contest, Weeks said.
1. Grill 'n Gamblers; 2. Dodge City Smokers; 3. Ribs 4 U; 4. Doughboy's Dream; 5. Bushwacker BBQ.
1. Smokin R's; 2. Three Alarm Smokers; 3. Doughboy's Dream; 4. Smoke 'n Things; 5. Dodge City Smokers.
1. Grillin' Gamblers; 2. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ; 3. MoKans Meatheads; 4. Ribs 4 U; 5. Smokin R's.
1. Have Smoke Will Travel; 2. Toad Hollar; 3. Buttinski Bros. BBQ; 4. Bushwacker BBQ; 5. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ.
1. Knotheads BBQ; 2. Doughboy's Dream; 3. Toad Hollar; 4. Rock Chalk Jayhawk; 5. Ribs 4 U.
1. Pig Newton; 2. T's Smokin' Pit; 3. Buttinski Bros. BBQ; 4. Hemphill Smokers; 5. Dodge City Smokers.
1. Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ; 2. Smokin' R's; 3. Smoke 'n Things; 4. Hemphill Smokers; 5. Doughboy's Dream.
People's Choice Award
Hemphill Smokers, Lawrence.
MoKans Meat Heads, Grain Valley, Mo.
Rock Chalk Jayhawk BBQ, Patty Boone, Olathe.
More like this story
- Jury to weigh death sentence for man in Jewish site killings
- Man convicted in Jewish site killings is sentenced to death
- This year's Leavenworth County Veterans Day Parade to salute Vitenam veterans
- Kansas House committee delays review of Democrat's remarks
- Man accused of Jewish site shootings to appear in court