Obituary: James R. “Mac” McDermott
Services for James R. "Mac" McDermott, 60, Gardner, were Friday, June 16, 2006, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Gardner.
Burial was in Gardner Cemetery with military honors.
Mr. McDermott died June 11, 2006, at his home. He was born April 4, 1946, in Kansas City, Kan., the son of Francis John and Cecilia Kelly McDermott.
He was a graduate of Shawnee Mission North High School and Johnson County Community College. He farmed, raised cattle and was also a truck driver for Rieke Construction of Shawnee for 11 years. He served in the U.S. Navy in Vietnam from 1964 to 1968, and had lived in Tonganoxie and Shawnee. He moved to Gardner in 1976. He was a member of Mo-Kan Teamsters Union, the Gardner American Legion, and he loved to fish.
Survivors include his mother, Cecilia McDermott, Shawnee; two sons, Brian McDermott, Gardner, and Curt McDermott, Ottawa; two daughters, Jegen McDermott, Tallahassee, Fla., and Jamie McDermott, Gardner; a sister, Patricia Henshaw, Kansas City, Kan.; a brother, F. James McDermott, Shawnee; and five grandchildren
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Gardner American Legion.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Kris Roberts
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms
- Mars Inc. to expand candy-making plant in Kansas
- High on the hog: Knapp Family Farms to show off pigs on Kaw Valley Farm Tour
- Man injured after his handgun goes off in Kansas theater