Relay for Life tops $50,000
The Relay for Life of Jefferson County raised more than $50,000 for the American Cancer Society.
The $50,936 that was raised set a record for the county event.
"You don't know how excited we are with this fundraising amount," Melanie Bostwick, event co-chair said.
The amount is even more impressive, considering that organizers called the relay off early because of strong winds.
"We hated to shut down early, but first thing on our mind was the safety of our participants. Three hundred people under tents in strong straight-line winds wasn't something we wanted to see," Bostwick said. "But, we thought it was great that everyone understood and helped us get everything cleaned up before going home."
Awards presented at the relay included the team spirit award, which went to the Harker family of McLouth, and two awards to individuals who raised $1,000 or more. They went to Janet James, Valley Falls, and Marsha McLaughlin, McLouth.
The 2007 Relay For Life of Jefferson County again will be in Valley Falls on June 15 and 16.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie police calls, March 25-April 9, 2015
- Tonganoxie police calls, Feb. 20-March 1, 2015
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle
- Hanging of 'In Cold Blood' killers marks 50th anniversary
- Reno County spending money to keep jail smelling good