Police chief: Rumors of fight fly at high school
A fight rumored to be planned outside Tonganoxie High School last Wednesday never happened.
Tonganoxie Police Chief Ken Carpenter said he received a call Wednesday that students were planning to fight after school.
Police were in the parking lot before school let out and a fight never materialized.
"The rumor was going around the school, and it got back to us," Carpenter said.
Carpenter said he didn't know what might have sparked the possible fight.
Tonganoxie High School Principal Tatia Shelton declined to comment and referred questions to Supt. Richard Erickson, who would not release information about the incident.
"We try to protect our kids as much as we can," Erickson said. "We feel it's important to protect the confidentiality of our kids in discipline cases."
Carpenter estimated police receive two to three calls each school year about rumors of planned fights at the school. He said, however, fights usually don't materialize.
"A lot of times, they're going to fight and they just stand there and mouth off," the police chief said.
More like this story
- Kansas House vote shows weak support for constitutional amendment on judicial selection
- Kansas Attorney General criticizes federal home health laws
- Tough voter citizenship rules pull Kansas into multiple lawsuits
- Harrell named for teacher of year award
- Kansas officials riled by EPA's changes to power plant rule