Revelers gearing up
Local residents will paint Tonganoxie green for Saturday's annual St. Patrick's Day Parade.
Well, a strip of Fourth Street at least.
As is tradition before the downtown parade, enthusiasts will paint a green strip down the middle of Fourth Street where the parade will make its way at 10 a.m. Saturday.
Anyone interested in participating in the parade is asked to fill out an entry form, available from the Tonganoxie Chamber of Commerce, (913) 845-9244. Parade entrants should gather by 9:30 a.m. Saturday on Main Street, near the swimming pool.
This year's grand leprechaun is Ronnie Conrad, a founding member of the 18-year-old parade.
The event will be televised on Sunflower Broadband, channel 6. Saturday's parade will not be televised live, but will be replayed on channel 6 at noon Saturday and 6:30 p.m. Sunday. John Evans II will be moderator for the parade telecast.
The parade will feature the St. Andrews bagpipers, among other entries.
Prizes will be awarded in several divisions for the parade:
- Open class awards: $60 for first; $40 for second; and $25 for third.
- Best float award: $125 for first place; $75 for second; and $50 for third.
- Best band award: $100.
In addition to the parade, these events have been planned for Saturday:
- Girl Scout Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m., Old Ratliff Drug Store, Fourth and Bury.
- Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner, after the parade until 1 p.m., Congregational Church, Fourth and Shawnee. The meal includes corned beef and cabbage or Irish stew, homemade biscuits, desserts and drinks. Tickets are $6 for adults and $3 for children with youths under the age of 4 able to eat free. Tickets will be available at the door.
More like this story
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie
- Moratorium continues for certain land south of Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie City Council primary election voter's guide
- Army to resume cleanup at former Sunflower ammunition plant
- Planning commissioner files for Leavenworth County commission