Firefighters coax cat from tree
A recent Tonganoxie City fire call probably could have been an inspiration for a Norman Rockwell painting.
Firefighters responded to a call March 11 to the 300 block of East Second Street to rescue a cat that had climbed into a tree.
"All I know is her name was Lola," Chief Dave Bennett said. "Firefighter Bill Derzinski scaled the ladder and coaxed Lola out of the tree."
It took some work to get Lola out of the tree. Bennett said the rescue team required a 35-foot extension ladder to reach the cat.
"We got her down and returned her safely to her family," Bennett said.
Although the department is accustomed to fighting fire, Bennett said he received calls "every once in a while" to rescue a cat from a tree.
More like this story
- Kansas lawmakers' tax plan makes numerous policy changes
- 25 years on, disabilities act has changed lives of millions
- Coffeyville weathers Amazon job losses better than expected
- O'Brien, Karleskint squaring off Tuesday in Republican primary in Kansas House District 42 race
- Employer sent to prison for hiring workers illegally in U.S.