Man thankful barn fired didn’t spread to his home
Robert Meyer was relieved Thursday's strong winds were pushing south.
His barn caught fire about 10:30 a.m. Thursday south of Dempsey Road on 219th Street.
The barn was just southeast of his house, but the house was not damaged in the fire.
Meyer also had an RV trailer parked south of his home, which was about eight feet from the barn. The trailer was pulled away from the fire before the blaze could do substantial damage.
The heat from the fire melted taillights and left them disfigured.
Meyers had been working in the barn, sharpening lawnmower blades, at least a half hour before he noticed the barn was on fire.
In that time, he was working a few feet away, between the house and the barn.
"I don't know what happened," Meyer said. "I was sharpening blades, but I don't think it was that."
Tonganoxie Township, Tonganoxie City, Rural District 1, and Stranger and Alexandria Township fire departments responded to the fire.
The barn was made of wood and tin. Tonganoxie Fire Chief Dave Bennett said the cause of the fire wasn't yet determined.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie high school, middle school students honored with pizza party for winning VFW essays
- Mirror recieves Kansas Press Association awards for its 2014 work
- Tonganoxie Hall of Fame class recognized Friday at Myers Hotel
- Technology award for Tonganoxie Community Historical Society
- Applications avaialable for 2017-18 Southern Leavenworth County Leadership Development class