Obituary: James Yates
Graveside services for James Yates, Kansas City, Kan., 86, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 25, 2006, at Maple Grove Cemetery, Tonganoxie. Visitation will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday at Joseph A. Butler and Son Funeral Home, 19th and Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
Mr. Yates was born Nov. 13, 1919, in Tonganoxie. His family moved to Horton when he was 14. After graduating from Horton High School, he worked for Wilbur's Grocery Store in Horton, working his way up to general manager. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was in the invasion of the Philippines. After the war, he went to college and graduated from Washburn School of Law in 1951. In 1970, he argued a case before the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Yates was preceded in death by a daughter, Mary Yates.
Survivors include four daughters, Judge Muriel Yates Harris, Piper, Martha Jo Martin, Oak Grove, Mo, Marcia Yates Roberts, Linwood, and Marilyn Arnold, Kansas City, Kan.; 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions to Kansas City Hospice, 9221 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo., 64114.
More like this story
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Kansas lawmakers seek classroom tweaks in school budget row
- State board told Attorney General's office can't advise it
- Kansas City streetcar construction to finish this fall