Obituary: James Yates
Graveside services for James Yates, Kansas City, Kan., 86, will be at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 25, 2006, at Maple Grove Cemetery, Tonganoxie. Visitation will be from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Friday at Joseph A. Butler and Son Funeral Home, 19th and Minnesota Ave., Kansas City, Kan.
Mr. Yates was born Nov. 13, 1919, in Tonganoxie. His family moved to Horton when he was 14. After graduating from Horton High School, he worked for Wilbur's Grocery Store in Horton, working his way up to general manager. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He was in the invasion of the Philippines. After the war, he went to college and graduated from Washburn School of Law in 1951. In 1970, he argued a case before the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Yates was preceded in death by a daughter, Mary Yates.
Survivors include four daughters, Judge Muriel Yates Harris, Piper, Martha Jo Martin, Oak Grove, Mo, Marcia Yates Roberts, Linwood, and Marilyn Arnold, Kansas City, Kan.; 11 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
In lieu of flowers, the family suggests memorial contributions to Kansas City Hospice, 9221 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, Mo., 64114.
More like this story
- Dedication, open house Saturday at new Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie USD 464 receives one bid for former elementary school
- Kansas Board of Education to examine school laws, bonds
- Board approves sale of former Tonganoxie Elementary School
- Tonganoxie school board approves issuance of $9.6 million in bonds