School board OKs new THS doors
Tonganoxie school board members Monday agreed to buy new interior doors for the original part of the high school.
In a unanimous vote, the seven board members approved a low bid of $16,950 for 27 doors from Overhead Door Company, Kansas City, Mo.
Board member Kay Smith asked about the condition of the high school's existing interior doors.
"They're original to the building," said Superintendent Richard Erickson, who had recommended the purchase. "Whether they're to the point where they're not functional, I don't know that we can say that, but appearance-wise, we're just trying to work on that area."
The bid specifies the school district will furnish locksets, outside of the bid package, and will take down the existing doors.
Board member Darlyn Hansen asked what would be done with the existing doors. Then board member Dr. Richard Dean quipped that if the doors had had Chieftain emblems on them, they probably would be snapped up by local buyers.
Dean was referring to the school's Chieftain emblem on the former basketball floor. When the floor was pulled up in March, to be replaced as part of the district's $25.3 million construction project, Tonganoxie builder Mark Himpel paid $1,000 for the painted center section of the basketball floor. Himpel said he plans to store the floor section and possibly install it in a future community building.
After meeting in executive session for 55 minutes, board members:
- Accepted resignations of high school vocal music teacher Joyce Steeby, and high school language arts teacher Shawn Edie.
- Hired Ginger Lobb as kindergarten teacher, Spencer Dale as first-grade teacher, Kerry George as fourth-grade teacher and Jeanne Moore as high school English teacher.
More like this story
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts
- Changes in funding could change online offerings in Kansas
- 2 Kansas school districts to close early because of budgets
- Kansas logs first sighting of tropical piratic flycatcher
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures