Conference hands honor to THS grad
Vanessa Wardy, former Tonganoxie High and current Baker volleyball player, was named player of the week in the Heart of America Athletic Conference for her performance against Evangel.
Wardy, a 2003 THS graduate, compiled 30 kills and had just five errors in 52 attempts. She also had a .600 kill percentage and had no hitting errors in the Baldwin university's first-round conference tournament win against Evangel.
The senior also was named the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Region V player of the week.
Wardy is a senior middle hitter for the Wildcats, who had the No. 4 seed in the HAAC tournament. After defeating Evangel, Baker lost to top-seeded William Jewell in the next round of the tournament in Liberty, Mo.
The Wildcats were 18-19 entering Tuesday's NAIA Region V Tournament.
During Wardy's senior year at Tonganoxie, she was named first-team all-Kaw Valley League as a middle hitter. She helped guide the Chieftains to a 25-12 record that year and a substate runner-up finish in Class 4A.
More like this story
- State basketball wraps up during weekend
- McLouth High baseketball teams' seasons end at sub-state
- Tonganoxie St. Pat's Parade organizers working to bulk up annual spring event
- Tonganoxie High School track teams look to build on 2014
- Tonganoxie police looking for information regarding case of man trying to lure middle school student into vehicle