Conference hands honor to THS grad
Vanessa Wardy, former Tonganoxie High and current Baker volleyball player, was named player of the week in the Heart of America Athletic Conference for her performance against Evangel.
Wardy, a 2003 THS graduate, compiled 30 kills and had just five errors in 52 attempts. She also had a .600 kill percentage and had no hitting errors in the Baldwin university's first-round conference tournament win against Evangel.
The senior also was named the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Region V player of the week.
Wardy is a senior middle hitter for the Wildcats, who had the No. 4 seed in the HAAC tournament. After defeating Evangel, Baker lost to top-seeded William Jewell in the next round of the tournament in Liberty, Mo.
The Wildcats were 18-19 entering Tuesday's NAIA Region V Tournament.
During Wardy's senior year at Tonganoxie, she was named first-team all-Kaw Valley League as a middle hitter. She helped guide the Chieftains to a 25-12 record that year and a substate runner-up finish in Class 4A.
More like this story
- Tonganoxie High cross country boys take 2nd, girls 3rd at final Kaw Valley League meet
- Tonganoxie High cross country boys nab 2nd, girls 3rd at final KVL meet
- THS runners sweep at home invite
- Lawrence Memorial Hospital 5K Run/Walk Tonganoxie race Saturday
- Tonganoxie cross country boys take 1st, girls 2nd at Pleasant Ridge