Atchison ambushes team’s winning streak
The Chieftains are winless in Atchison.
For the third time in five years, Tonganoxie High traveled north to Atchison and headed back home with a defeat.
This year, in a battle of unbeatens, Atchison moved to 8-0 overall and 2-0 in district play with a 21-6 victory against Tonganoxie at Amelia Earhart Stadium.
THS, meanwhile, fell to 7-1 overall and 1-1 in district play.
Now, the Chieftains must win Thursday against Jeff West to have a shot at the playoffs.
Tonganoxie already has defeated Perry-Lecompton, so a PLHS loss to Atchison, coupled with a Tonganoxie win against Jeff West, will secure a playoff spot for THS.
On Friday, Atchison held Tonganoxie to 90 rushing yards and 91 passing yards, while AHS battered the Tonganoxie defense with big plays. For instance, Atchison running back Vernon Allen rushed for 200
More like this story
- Kansas cropland values down this year amid low grain prices
- Kansas poised to be a leader in emerging field of drones
- Proposal to hike ag land taxes spawns backlash from Kansas farmers
- Kansas oil and gas industries suffer while wind industry prospers
- Document proving WWII military sex slaves now at KU library