Tonganoxie boys take fifth at state; girls place eighth
The Tonganoxie High boys cross country team placed fifth at the state cross country championships Saturday in Wamego. The Chieftain boys, led by sophomore Matt Brock, scored 164 points. Brock finished in 27th place. El Dorado won the meet with 63, while Baldwin placed second with 70.
El Dorado's title snapped Baldwin's recent state championship run. The Bulldogs had won the last eight state boys titles.
On the girls side, the Chieftain girls placed eighth with 211 points. De Soto won the meet with 67, while Baldwin placed second with 83. The BHS girls also won the Class 4A state title last year, and had won three of the last four before Saturday's championship.
Christy Weller was Tonganoxie's top runner wtih a 25th-place finish.
Both Tonganoxie teams improved on last year's finishes. The boys placed ninth out of 12 teams, while the girls placed 12th out of 12 teams.
For more on Saturday's meet, see the Nov. 1 edition of The Mirror.
More like this story
- Former Kansas superintendent and 2 others sue over firings
- Linwood girl's passion for rodeo continues to grow
- Kansas bill would require parental consent for sex education
- Linwood man sentenced to nearly a decade in prison for attempted rape, attempted aggravated criminal sodomy
- New Kansas rules would limit spending of welfare benefits