A good crowd of people attended the community barbecue Sept. 9 at Jarbalo United Methodist Church. After eating good food, everyone went into the church to listen to a gospel quartet, Sound Advice. Bidding went high during the pie auction.
Jarbalo United Methodist Women met last Wednesday. Margy Castle, a member of the nominating committee for the district, attended and spoke to the group. Eight members answered roll call and reported 22 care calls. These members were elected officers for 2007: Marilyn Oxley, president; Thamar Barnett, vice president; and Rosie Oelschlaeger. These members will serve on the nominating committee: Connie Barnett, chairman, Bid Sheppard and Faye Cleavinger.
Rosie Oelschlaeger read a story from the book, "View of the Zoo." Plans were made for a smorgasbord, set for 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Oct. 6. The next meeting will be Oct. 4, so chairs and tables can be set up for the dinner. Marilyn Oxley will be hostess and have the program at that meeting. Thamar Barnett provided refreshments to Connie Barnett, Bid Sheppard, Gladys Steffen, Faye Cleavinger and Marilyn Oxley and guest, Margy Castle.
More like this story
- Budget, taxes head up crowded agenda for Kansas Legislature
- Kansas regents hold tuition, fee increases to 3.6 percent
- Audit finds UMKC business school ran up deficit to boost ranking
- Tech education incentives cut for Kansas school districts
- Kansas schools, colleges, hospitals would feel sting of cuts