Council members to take seats
McLouth's three newly elected city council members will be sworn into office next month.
Incumbent Sharon Lobb Johnson was the top vote-getter in the April general election. She will serve another four year-term when she is sworn in at the end of the next council meeting, slated for May 8.
Newcomers Charles Karmann and Myra Harwood will be sworn in at the next meeting, as well, and will serve terms that don't expire until 2011. Karmann received the second-most votes, while Harwood tied Gerald Sullivan with 124 votes each. After provisional ballots were counted, Harwood earned the nod for the third and final seat.
Karmann and Harwood will replace Kim Hochard and Bob Ryan. Hochard opted not to run for re-election, while Ryan lost his re-election bid.
The race for the three seats initially had eight candidates, but was reduced to six in a primary election.
More like this story
- Baldwin City resident killed, another injured in motorcycle wreck in southern Leavenworth County
- Kansas students report attack by man shouting racial slurs, 'Trump'
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Motorcyclist sent to area hospital following crash involving Tonganoxie High volleyball team bus
- Armed teenager running toward school shot by police officer