City shuts down Tonganoxie Pool on Thursday
Filtration system woes attributed to early close
The Tonganoxie Swimming Pool has closed its doors for the final time.
The 82-year-old facility, which will be replaced this year with a modernized pool thanks to an April election, closed Thursday because of filtration and treatment issues.
City Administrator Mike Yanez said the pool's filtration and treatment system no longer can properly handle its duties at the pool.
He said the water is green with algae, as the chlorine system is not effective to deal with the water volume and heat. And, the bottom of the deep end of the pool no longer can be seen because of the algae, Yanez said.
Officials had hoped to keep the pool for the remainder of the season, which would have been Sunday, but opted for the earlier close.
"We were hgoping to close it on the 12th, but it ain't gonna make it," Yanez said.
Yanez said the city has been struggling with the "inadequate systems" since July 4.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Taking a tour up North
- Kansas City Connection: A celebration of beer
- Kansas City Connection: a place for good jazz, eats; Starlight lets it go
- Linwood News, Jarbalo Jottings and McLouth Happenings
- Kansas City Connection: Tour spotlights how things are growing in urban gardens, farms