Our view: Prescient Phil
We don't know whether to congratulate or curse our good friend, Tonganoxie Phil, after our midwinter surprise overnight Monday. But we do know this: So far his prognostication is on target.
Dr. Phil Stevens, this area's version of Punxsutawney Phil, the famed Pennsylvania groundhog, saw his shadow on Feb. 2 and promptly delivered a forecast of six more weeks of winter.
The prediction seemed prescient earlier this week when the area received a blanket of snow and sleet that caused school to be called off Tuesday.
Seriously, though, while we might have wished for an early spring, we must remind ourselves this is Kansas, afterall. Next week temperatures might reach into the 50s; two weeks down the road, it could be back in the teens.
But no matter how long winter weather lasts, we can be warmed by the knowledge we have Tonganoxie Phil looking out for us.
More like this story
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Lori Wilson
- Tonganoxie Community Historical Society Museum open 3 days each week during summer
- Jewel on Main to have diva show Saturday
- Tonganoxie basketball teams sweep Heritage Christian
- Kansas universities accept hundreds of students who don’t meet minimum admission standards: report