Upstart THS wrestlers in second place after first day of regionals
The Tonganoxie High wrestling team is one of the squads to beat after the first day of Class 4A regional action in Holton. The Chieftains qualified 10 wrestlers for competition Saturday.
Kevin Hamm (112 pounds), Blaize Oelschlaeger (119), Matt Brock (130), Jonathan Ferris (140) and Cameron Adcox (285) all advanced in the winner's bracket.
Rob Schlicht (103), Matt Ditty (152), Wyatt Coffin (160), Jeremie Maus (189) and Derek Parrett (215) are still alive in the consolation bracket.
Entering the second day of competition tomorrow in the HHS gymnasium, Tonganoxie is in second place with 54 behind Clay Center, the top-ranked team in the state. The Tigers have 72 points.
Marysville is third with 50.5, while Royal Valley and Wamego round out the top five.
THS coach Jeremy Goebel was ecstatic Friday night after the Chieftains finished with their best effort in school history after a day of competition.
"I'm feeling pretty good," Goebel said Friday night. "Hopefully we can finish it out."
More like this story
- Tonganoxie senior earns K-State's Putnam Scholarship
- Tonganoxie High senior candidate for Presidential Scholar
- Tonganoxie High graduate finalist for K-State entrepreneuership contest
- Tonganoxie High seniors receive scholarships at awards night
- Tonganoxie and McLouth residents among Emporia State University scholarship award winners