Aunt Norie’s Sewing Room
Scissors -- every household needs them, several pair in fact. The touchiest, of course, is mom's sewing scissors. We moms have for all time had a fast rule if we sew: "Hands off mom's scissors."
There's just nothing worse than to use mom's scissors for cutting paper or leather strips.
And the oft-used excuse -- "I had to have it for school" -- just won't do it, you guys, because, when mom unknowingly starts to cut her fabric, she'll realize her sewing scissors are dull.
Your sewing shears need special care and maybe special protection -- especially if you have a busy family around.
There are all sorts of scissors on the market. It pays to spend a little more and get a better quality of sewing shears. They are designed to cut only fabric. Be sure to use them for only that purpose and they will stay sharp for a long time.
Of course, get several pair of everyday scissors, one for the desk drawer and one for the tool drawer. They even make shears for cutting tin, called tin-snips, which dad probably has in his toolbox.
As my youngsters grew up, they knew better than to go for my scissors. And then there was my special little screwdriver for my sewing machine, to change needles etc., you know the one, which was always disappearing. I even had to start hiding that one, or not putting it in its proper place.
Remember that "a stitch in time saves nine." And have a great new year.
-- Aunt Norie, P.O. Box 265, Tonganoxie 66086; firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- Kansas proposed juvenile justice changes would incarcerate fewer youths; some counties express concern
- Court officials say errors revealing juvenile records fixed
- Hill touts career experiences in Leavenworth County Commission race
- Army to resume cleanup at former Sunflower ammunition plant
- Leavenworth County commissioners revoke bond support for proposed Tyson chicken plant near Tonganoxie