School district primary set; no primary needed for city seats
A primary election will be held Feb. 27 in the Tonganoxie school district.
The filing deadline was noon today, Jan. 23, for four open school board seats, the mayor's job and two city council seats.
Enough school candidates filed for the at-large position on the board and for position No. 2, which represents north Tonganoxie, to force a primary election for those two seats.
Here are the school candidates:
- Position No. 2, currently held by Ron Moore, who didn't seek re-election: Kathy Baragary, Craig Lohman and Rex Hutton.
- Position No. 7, currently held by Dr. Richard Dean, who didn't seek re-election: Dr. Bill Weatherford, Francie Campbell and Mildred McMillon.
- Position No. 1: incumbent Diane Truesdell and Alan Theno.
- Position No. 3: incumbent Leana Leslie and Patti Bitler.
Voters won't cast ballots in the city council and mayor's race until the April 3 general election. Candidates are:
- For mayor: incumbent Dave Taylor and Mike Vestal.
- For two city council seats: incumbent Velda Roberts, along with Robert Altenhofen, Paula Crook and Tom Putthoff. The other seat is held by Ron Cranor, who did not file for re-election.
Also, in the April 3 general election, Tonganoxie voters will be asked to approve a 3/4-cent sales tax to finance a new swimming pool. And voters countywide will be asked to establish a county administrator's position.
More like this story
- Dad of batboy, 9, who died, supports batboy tradition
- 9-year-old batboy honored at team's 1st game since his death
- 3 suspects in custody after high-speed police chase ends in Lawrence
- Overland Park approves 165-mile bicycle network
- Tonganoxie Public Library officials talk building future with City Council