Work on Pleasant Street bridge to start Monday
Work on the Pleasant Street bridge will start Monday, City Administrator Mike Yanez announced Wednesday.
Crews will demolish the existing deck and replace it with a new deck to accomodate heavier loads of traffic.
"That will allow for all routine traffic to use the bridge," Yanez said. "Until an entirely new bridge can be constructed."
The bridge will be off limits to traffic for two to four weeks "dependent upon weather conditions and construction progress," Yanez said.
A recent inspection revealed that the bridge was not up to standards to handle larger vehicles. A 5-ton weight limit was put on the bridge after the inspection, meaning some vehicles, such as emergency trucks from the Tonganoxie City Fire Department northeast of the bridge, would need to find alternate routes.
With the deck replacement, larger vehicles again will be able to utilize the bridge.
Monday's work likely will start about 8 a.m., Yanez said.
More like this story
- Sirens failed to sound in Nickerson as tornado hit area
- Tonganoxie City Council denies church request in Urban Hess, cites zoning regulations
- Kansas Senate advances energy, elections, gambling proposals
- Leavenworth County under tornado watch; red flag warning set for Tuesday
- Tonganoxie experiences Monday flooding