Lawrence cyclist injured in wreck
A 20-year-old Lawrence man who was riding his bicycle on U.S. Highway 24-40 was taken by air ambulance to an area hospital after colliding with a truck on the road.
John W. Phelps was riding his bicycle about 10:20 a.m. July 9 east on U.S. Highway 24-40 near Douglas County 1600 Road when he made a left-hand turn in front of a 1990 Ford truck driven by Leroy W. Walters, 62, Tonganoxie. Walters also was traveling east behind Phelps. The bicycle went under Walters' vehicle, while Phelps went over the truck.
Emergency Medical Service drove Phelps to Lawrence Municipal Airport, which is just west of where the accident occurred. From there, Phelps was taken by air ambulance to the University of Kansas Hospital.
A hospital official there said he could neither confirm nor deny that Phelps was a patient.
According to Kansas Highway Patrol Trooper T.L. Berner, Phelps was alert before being taken to the Kansas City, Kan., hospital.
More like this story
- Wanted: Mural ideas for Tonganoxie
- Tonganoxie vigil pays tribute to 21-year-old killed in Thursday morning wreck
- Face to Face: Tonganoxie's Patrick Budy
- Police were on scene when Tonganoxie principal left campus; sheriff's office conducting investigation
- Another viable senior living option in Tonganoxie?