- Around 2 p.m. Saturday, Jarodd Spencer, 18, Tonganoxie, ran his 1987 Cutlass Sierra into the back of Ronald Denton's 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. Denton, 59, Tonganoxie, was heading south on Laming Road getting ready to turn onto U.S. Highway 24-40 when Spencer struck his vehicle. Officer reported the damage to be more than $1,000. No injuries were reported.
- At 2:20 a.m. Friday, a 21-year-old Lawrence man was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol in the 1000 block of U.S. Highway 24-40. The Lawrence man was caught on radar for speeding. Officers proceeded to conduct a field sobriety and Breathalyzer test. The Lawrence man was arrested and taken to the Leavenworth County Jail.
- A woman in the 200 block of Second Street reported the theft of a handicapped placard from her car between 7 p.m. and 8 a.m. Sunday.
Leavenworth County Sheriff's Office
- About 8:15 p.m. July 7, Leavenworth County deputies were dispatched to the 14000 block of 190th Street in Linwood after Jefferson County dispatch called about reports that shots were fired. A 58-year-old Linwood man reported that his 46-year-old Oskaloosa nephew drove by in his yellow truck and shot at him. After hearing the shots from what the Linwood man described as a large caliber gun shot, he returned fire with a nearby .22 caliber rifle. The nephew fled the scene and was later stopped in Jefferson County. The Oskaloosa man was released to Leavenworth County custody and taken to the Leavenworth County Jail.
- A 41-year-old Shawnee man was arrested and taken to the Leavenworth County Jail for driving under the influence of alcohol after being pulled over by officers following the man as he headed north on Kansas Highway 7. About 1 a.m. July 10, officers pulled the man over after they observed him crossing over the center line, drifting in his lane and crossing the right side edge line. After being stopped, officers noticed the smell of alcohol. The man could not complete the field sobriety testing and was arrested for DUI.
- About 1:10 a.m. July 10, Austin Hill was involved in an accident on U.S. Highway 24-40 and Stillwell Road. The 17-year-old Leavenworth youth was heading north when he drifted across the southbound lane and onto the west shoulder of U.S. 24-40. He hit the guardrail on the bridge railing and caused major damage to the front of his pick-up. There were no injuries reported.
¢ Around 3:30 p.m. on Thursday, a 21-year-old Easton man reported that he was attacked by an 18-year-old Easton man in the 100 block of Riley Street. The victim reported that he was walking on West Riley Street when the 18-year-old drove up in this 1991 Ford F-150, got out of his vehicle and accused the victim of stealing the shirt the victim was wearing. When the 21-year-old denied stealing the shirt, the 18-year-old punched him in the mouth four times, causing injuries to the inside and outside of the victim's lips. The victim was taken to Cushing Memorial Hospital for treatment. The 18-year-old could not be found.
- About 12:40 a.m. Friday, officers stopped a man walking on U.S. Highway 73, just north of Kansas Highway 192. After checking the identification of the 26-year-old Kansas City, Mo., man, officers confirmed the man had three warrants. He was taken into custody and transported to Leavenworth County Jail.
- A 55-year-old Leavenworth woman made a call to officers when she discovered a 22-year-old male on her property around 4 p.m. Friday. On a previous occasion the Leavenworth woman had told the man not to return to her property in the 16000 block of Springdale Road. The victim returned and found the man had climbed in through a window to gain access to the back into the property. The woman told the man to leave before she returned from another trip, but when she returned and saw the man she notified police.
- Around 10:15 p.m. Friday, two Lansing teens were involved in a car accident on 167th Street, just north of Santa Fe Trail. Russell Bochanan, 17, was driving south on 167th Street when he was distracted by something, 18-year-old Kevin Thrasher said. While Russell was looking over at Thrasher, the vehicles right tires drifted off onto the highway shoulders. The vehicle then went into the west-side ditch and caused more than $1,000 in damages to his vehicle. No injuries were reported and alcohol did not play a factor in the accident, reports said.
- Between 6 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Sunday, an ATV belonging to a 67-year-old Linwood man was stolen off the back of a truck bed at his home in the 13000 block of 222nd Street. The man left the ATV in the truck to advertise its sale. He went into his home for dinner and when he returned the ATV and a toolbox were missing. The man estimates the value of the loss to be $1,030. There are no suspects at this time.
- Officers arrested a 25-year-old Tonganoxie man who was driving a go-kart under the influence about 1:30 a.m. Monday, in the 300 block of Main Street in Linwood. When questioned by officers, the Tonganoxie man told officers he had consumed alcohol. The man refused a sobriety field test and then was transported for the Leavenworth County Jail. After the man refused to take a breath test at the jail, officers placed him in the custody of jail officers.
- Just before 6 a.m. Tuesday, 54-year-old Richard Jones, Easton, struck a deer with the front wheel of his motorcycle wile heading east on Kansas Highway 92, half a mile west of Limit Road. After striking the deer, Jones' motorcycle went on its side sliding a short distance with him. When deputies and EMS responded, Jones appeared to only have minor injuries. Jones was wearing a helmet. After being treated at the scene by EMS, Jones was transported to St. John's Hospital in Leavenworth as a precautionary measure.
Tonganoxie City Fire Department
- Firefighters responded with Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Service at 10:54 p.m. July 9, 1:21 a.m. and 10:02 p.m. July 10, 3:02 p.m. Thursday, 8:21 a.m., 1:38 p.m., 9:57 p.m. and 10:06 p.m. Friday, 6:17 p.m. Saturday and 5:54 a.m. Sunday.
- At 12:29 p.m. July 9, firefighters responded to Fairmount Township Fire Station for a standby.
- At 12:38 p.m. July 9, firefighters responded to a natural gas leak due to a construction accident in the 800 block of Pleasant.
- Firefighters responded at 3:09 p.m. July 10 to assist a resident.
- Firefighters responded at 2:36 p.m. July 11 to the 500 block of East 13th Street for a call about a child on a bicycle possibly struck by a vehicle. The child actually had just wrecked his bike. There were no injuries.
- Firefighters responded at 12:54 p.m. Friday to Main Street north of U.S. Highway 24-40 for a grass fire.
- At 2:02 p.m. Friday, firefighters responded with EMS to an injury traffic accident at U.S. Highway 24-40 and Laming Road.
Tonganoxie Municipal Court Fines assessed
¢ Brandon Frydendall, 20, Leavenworth, stop sign violation, fined $105
- Fred Trent, 61, Overland Park, speeding 50 in a 30, fined $130
- Billy Reid, 54, Eldridge, Iowa, speeding 47 in a 30, fined $120
- Laura Schneider, 21, Lawrence, speeding 44 in a 30, fined $120
- Matt Kessler, 32, Tonganoxie, speeding 44 in a 30, fined $120
- Donnell Bolton, 22, Bonner Springs, speeding 63 in a 50, fined $120
- Harriett Browne, 21, Lawrence, speeding 46 in a 30, fined $120
- Kathleen Wagner, 41, Eudora, speeding 57 in a 30, fined $150
- Ginger Riddle, 42, Lansing, speeding 50 in a 30, fined $130
- Jeffery Foster, 26, Lawrence, driving while suspended, fined $325
More like this story
- Kaw Valley League's future in limbo; Tonganoxie could be headed to Frontier League
- Conference shifting continues for high school leagues
- Rookies and veterans: Tonganoxie Chieftains sending four freshmen, two seniors to state
- Regionals start today, tomorrow for Tonganoxie, McLouth teams
- On to regionals