State Fire Marshal called to investigate Reno Township fire
A blaze in Reno Township started around dusk Monday and consumed much of a house into early Tuesday, according to a Reno Township Fire Department official.
Assistant fire chief Bill Murkel said the fire, which broke out in the 11500 block of 238th Street, was put out between 1:30 a.m. and 2 a.m. Tuesday.
Murkel was unsure of the fire's cause later Tuesday morning, but he did say the State Fire Marshal was investigating.
According to Murkel, firefighters were able to save a small portion of the house and some belongings, but most of the house was lost because of the fire.
Leavenworth County Undersheriff Ron Cranor said Tuesday that the sheriff's office received a call about 7:40 p.m. Monday that a fire had broken out in the garage at the residence. Residents tried to put out the fire but were unsuccessful, according to reports.
Cranor said the home was owned by Alvin W. Reetz, but that 59-year-old Gene Hadal and 52-year-old Thelma Y. Yeapau were renting the house. They, three children and a guest were at the house when the fire started, but none of them was injured.
According to sheriff's reports, the fire was not classified as suspicious.
Several area fire departments also assisted in putting out the fire.
"We had good help from Eudora City, Sherman Township, Tonganoxie Township and Tonganoxie City," Murkel said.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: a place for good jazz, eats; Starlight lets it go
- Kansas City Connection: 9 events to kick off a busy September
- Kansas City Connection: Grinders Pizza and Celebration at the Station
- Kansas City Connection: Dance festival, Big Picnic, Van Halen make braving summer heat worth it